SUICIDE: PLAN OF ACTION for “team THRIVE” (team of people who come together to thrive with bipolar disorder)
1. We want to know if they are alone.
No one can commit suicide if they are NOT in isolation.
We may not physically be together…but as a team, we are not isolated.
All we have to do and can do, to prevent suicide, is CARE.
CARE WITH ALL OUR HEARTS AND EXPRESS IT.
As a team THRIVE member said, “I think that once a person has TRUELY resolved to killing themselves, there isn’t much we can do…the important thing is to try to help them not get to that point…when people care enough to help…and not simply call 9-1-1 on you like so many people have on me…it really makes a difference…its harder to commit suicide if you feel love regardless of the source…its almost impossible if you have hope…”
2. We want to know if they have a PLAN for committing suicide.
Having a plan means that they are at INCREASED RISK and we must proceed with caution.
3. We want to know if they have a MEANS (weapon, medications, rope etc) to commit suicide.
4. If they have a PLAN & THE MEANS to commit suicide they are at VERY HIGH RISK FOR SUICIDE.
5. If someone has only suicidal thoughts, but no plan or means to commit suicide they are at LOWER RISK.
6. BUT…Mania is different. People experiencing full-blown mania accidentally kill themselves or kill themselves on impulse.
The time that people are MOST LIKELY TO COMMIT SUICIDE IS AS THEY ARE COMING OUT OF A DEPRESSION.
When people are FULLY DEPRESSED…they do NOT have enough energy to commit suicide…as soon as they start to get to improve, as soon as they get some energy back IS THE TIME OF GREATEST RISK FOR SUICIDE.
team THRIVE! I want you to know that if you are in a depression and wanting to commit suicide…when you start to get the energy to do so…THAT IS WHEN THE DEPRESSION IS LIFTING.
If you feel suicidal WAIT…that means things are starting to get better…when YOU FEEL NOTHING, when YOU FEEL DEAD…that is when the depression is at its WORST.
Feeling suicidal feelings means you are getting BETTER…even if you are in incredible pain.
Important things to Note:
- People who talk about suicide are less likely to commit suicide, unless they are planning it in their conversation.
- MEN are at greater risk for suicide because they are often in EMOTIONAL ISOLATION and do not talk about their feelings, they ACT.